Above: still from the incredible Archisketch video, (to check it out in full screen, go to http://www.archisketch.com/feature).
Cracking startups with incredible app provisions to totally improve and vertically change your everyday life, is a typical feature in the expo areas of Web Summit 2017, in Lisbon, Portugal. Time was short, in order to cover everything in full detail, but here is our condensed list of what we manage to distinguish, among the many companies who revolutionize the tech world with digital media at the service of the citizen.
1. Archisketch (Interior Design, VR) is the elegant app offering the world's simplest interior design solution and quite frankly- everything a buyer, designer or consumer could only dream to have in his/her toolkit one day.
2. Alphafish (Hardware, IoT) helps you get control of your peripherals, energy sources and other components, arrange and "smartify" your interiors but also improve your consumption efficiency.
3. Inventify (Hardware, IoT) is the new platform of a team based in London, UK- that performs as an agency connecting designers, engineers and entrepreneurs and helping all ends to meet, eventually produce an idea and place it in the market.
4. FINALCAD (Software), a Web Summit favourite by the audience and the tech critics, is the mega-tool that promises to be the right hand of the civil engineer of the future, offering a number of composites as an app. A super-facility that functions as a team manager, design software, administrative kit, building and safety controller etc.
5. Kaspersky Lab (Cybersecurity) is definitely a Web Summit veteran and it remains something like the Saville Row of the cyberworld - with exquisite custom-made products for every possible known portal or device.
6. CISCO DEVNET Sandbox (Code, Learning) features a unique dry-run environment for coders of every field. A fully equiped lab for smooth coding and testing at an advanced level.
7. KAZAKHTELECOM-Digital Heart of the Silk Way (Investor, Telecom). This campaign launched by the company for the mythical investment of 1 billion dollars, sets the country as the digital annex of Central Asia in 8 priority sectors such as infrastructure, eHealth, digital agriculture, digital mining, eLearning, fintech, eGovernment and logistics.
8. ScaleUp Porto (Investor, Networks, Strategic Planning) consists of a platform, designed to create a growth network within a city. An overall exemplary and effective case of scaling-up strategy, ideal for other European cities to follow.
If you wish, you can check also people's most favourite startups as they figured in Web Summit statistics:
- Brand Ripplr
- Digital Genius
- Cosmo Tech
How to pronounce design in Portuguese: Brazil Today, the design exhibition initiated by MUDE museum in Lisbon, is undoubtedly one of the most significant design-related events of the year. Bárbara Coutinho, the director of MUDE invites the curator Frederico Duarte to establish a deep insight of the two countries correlation, their material identity and common culture, now. The result is a fascinating exploration of objects and messages, that transpass the usual design equations of the old continent and stimulate the human intellect to discover new dimensions and new solutions in the contemporary living era. An exhibition of rare beauty and honesty that seriously "flips the coin" of what we used to know up to this point - showcasing products conceived by designers coming from every corner of the vast Brazilian continent - yet so closely affiliated with the current Portuguese history and society, but also aligned to the issues and challenges of the global community.
From top to bottom bellow, a small selection:
- MELISSA CREATIVES (shoes), 2016: When consumers become designers -CONFETE (prosthetics), 2016, Furf Design: A hopeful prosthesis cover - STED (medicals), 2014, Cusco Studio: An everyday crutch - HAVAIANAS (flip-flops), 2017, Department of Design and Innovation: The Havaianas beyond the flip-flop - UBU (publishers), 2016: All of Ubu's books - LEARN AND PLAY (children's furniture), 2016, Grupo Criativo: A room that grows with its child.
That is all for now!!! More Web Summit 2018 ventures and Lisbon highlights next year, or maybe sooner!
Don't miss our next issue, out around the 10th of December with all the new, hot Press releases about the Salone del Mobile 2018 trends and more!!!
Until then-stay great!