Photo above: Salone Satellite 2018 main stage, product designer Tero Kuitunen repositions his playful Boudoir Mirror against the wall.
A first glimpse of this year's Salone del Mobile confirms the role of the fair as the major design convention of the planet. The almost-half-a-million people, (designers, journalists, trade operators, students etc.) who visited the Rho Fiera premises in Milan this 3rd week of April received some dynamic impressions due to the Salone's current guidelines and most importantly, their huge impact on the industry in general. No wonder how the Salone's clear point about contemporary societies' tantalizing issues such as sustainability, internationalism, cultural/social intersection, networking, quality making and honest use of materials in the process- strikingly influenced the exhibitors' stands and their goods.
Let's face it: the Salone is much more than just another fair, accumulating beautiful luxury items and making Italy the dreamcatcher for other countries' wishful thinking to host money-making local extravaganzas made by exuberant organizers and exhibitors. In it's long history, Salone established itself as a CONTENT MAKER in the field, introducing NOTIONS OF THE FUTURE and that its (inner) beauty, an important contribution that lays beyond superficialities.
In the beginning was the Word and also the Reason for it: so it is and Salone Satellite, (the young designers' institution, program and exhibition created by mega-curator Marva Griffin Wilshire 21 years ago), dedicated an area to the new production in Africa and Latin America, curated respectively by the honorable Hicham Lahlou and the legendary Fernando & Humberto Campana: 36 groundbreaking, emerging designers/teams redefined design TYPOLOGY cross-continentally, including works by Charles O.Job, Jean Servais Somian, Maria Haralambidou, Carol Gay, Menini-Nicola, Andrea Knecht, Rodolfo Agrella et al. Their projects alongside with the rest of contributing designers under-35-years-old, invent a new design glossary interlacing with the Salone's TrendLab recent manifestations: Nature is Present, Primal shapes+ shaping, All-in-One, Humour + Humanism, UI-UX-UProduct design, Paradoxal materials/ Meta-colors, Techno-droughts/ Digi-crafts....
Here follows our top list from the Salone Satellite 2018 main exhibition...These young designers know how to create awesomeness...check them out!
1. The urban settee JRENE, created by a team of design graduates in Seoul National University, Department of Design, is the furniture every contemporary urbanist/ architect/ landscape designer should embrace, understand and adopt as a system for public spaces. Another loud proof that the epicentre of young Asian design resides in South Korea. Respect.
2. In our era, stigmatized by materials in scarce, limited natural resources and budgetary restrictions, One Should be able with a Means to meet many Ends. Holistic, eco-conscious, transformable furniture and product design by exceptional designers (from top to bottom bellow) Kosuke Matsuda/UNI, Leila Boukhalfa/ROPE, Louis Bindernagel/ROPERY.
3. Colour, humour, versatility and play time, from top to bottom bellow: Hanna Anonen, Tero Kuitunen (central blog photo way above), Olivia Lee and award-winning Pistacchi Design (He Ren Wei) transcend the typical image of modernist home decor and practical furniture, in the service of the distressed millenial. Design with empathy, a real therapy for the depressed. Enjoy!
4. Craft-Nouveau OR Nouveau-Craft? by the winner of the Salone Satellite Shanghai 2017, Xiaoqi Zhao with Alone chair, Antti Tuomi's sleek yet fresh furniture design, the Atelier Insolite (Romain Luppi) wood & resin tables (bellow from top to bottom): long-lasting craftsmanship can walk hand-in-hand with the Avant-garde afterall.
5. Geometry, Science, Acoustics, Ergonomy, Spatial Intervention (from top to bottom): Studio Ardete, WD (Yusuke Watanabe), Felicia Arvid, WIII design student (Shanghai Institute of Visual Arts), Alizarina-Studio (Alizarina Silva). Use and learn.
Special thanks to Salone's President Mr C. Luti, Mrs M. Griffin-Wilshire and the Salone Press & Hospitality Team 4 their patience and 4 being once more, ever so considerate .
TO BE CONTINUED...😃DO NOT MISS OUT THE REST OF OUR REPORT THIS WEEKEND WITH THE EXHIBITORS' TOP 10 LIST + EXPLICIT INFO ON PRODUCTS, COMPANIES, PEOPLE & POLITICS!
In Salone We Trust💓